As with personal resolutions, many organizations start the new year refreshed, with a new set of goals (or carry over goals from the previous year…). This is a good time to take a step back think about what to focus on for the year ahead. Here are some suggestions for some HR-related items:
– Talent Acquisition – What job openings do you anticipate? Is the company planning to grow and increase the workforce in 2017? Start now to develop relationships with recruiting sources and/or potential candidates.
– Employee Engagement (aka Retention) – Generate ideas and lay out a plan for the for activities and events that will truly engage employees and help them realize how important they are to the organization.
– Employee Development – Who needs training to get up to speed in their job? Who is ready to move to the next level in their career with the company? What can be done to challenge employees who are looking for something more?
– Budget – This isn’t a fun one, but it’s better to lay out a plan now, than to scramble months from now.
– Benefits – What’s changing with benefits (health insurance, anyone?!)? Develop or improve on a communication plan to ensure employees receive and understand important information regarding benefits. Also, brainstorm new ideas for cost effective benefits or “perks” that may be added this year.
As with all plans and resolutions, they should be fluid. Schedule time every couple months to review progress towards reaching goals, as well as to make adjustments due to changing business conditions.